July 24, 2013

Homemade Tzaziki: My Favorite Dip!

Pin It!
Blogger will not cooperate with me and I can't edit any of my posts right now.  I can write from my iPod, but I can't upload any pictures or edit posts from the computer. I've tried both computers and it just isn't happening. SOOO, pretend there are pictures here, because I do have them!  I just can't them into a blog post. Our Internet is angry at me, too, so that doesn't help. I really hope it starts working because I have some really fun zucchini recipes coming up. Thanks for your patience! (pray for mine! ;)

This has been my lunch the past couple days.

What was that about complete proteins and stuff? 

 

Oops. 

I adore this dip.  Dips in general are my favorites, but this one takes the cake . . . I mean dip.  It is creamy, tangy, fresh, and delicious.



And it uses cucumbers!  We pick a dozen cucumbers in the morning and another in the evening.  Every day.  It is amazing.  But, hey, I'm not complaining when it means I can make this dip!


Tzaziki
Recipe Source: Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet Cookbook cooks Three Ancient Cuisines
Yield: 2-1/2 cups

2 cups plain greek yogurt (nonfat, 2%, or full fat all work)
1 cup shredded cucumber (about 1 medium or 2 really small)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon both salt and pepper

Place cheesecloth over a strainer.  Place the strainer over a bowl and pour yogurt onto cheesecloth. Let yogurt strain for at least 4-5 hours. (I've done both four hours and overnight)  After straining, the cloth should be damp and liquid should be in the bowl. The yogurt will come off the cloth easily. In a bowl, stir yogurt and remaining ingredients together. Serve or store in refrigerator. Store leftovers in refrigerator. 

4 comments:

  1. My son will love this recipe. I can't eat dairy otherwise I'd be making it right now. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I hope you will be able to eat dairy soon:( I've told mom many times I could not give up dairy because I like it too much!

      Delete
  2. yumm! We love tzaziki!! I love making it and one of our fav. restaurants makes a great one too! Just wanted to let you know this will be featured at my weekend roundup.. Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. The post will go up Friday night, but I'm going to be out of town, so I'm doing my commenting now :o) I'd love for you to add the featured button to this post, or pin, share, tweet about the feature... thanks! Happy Weekend! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Emily! I'm off to get the button . . . thank you again!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection