July 17, 2013

Frosted Zucchini Bars

Pin It!
Remember my garden?  It has been going crazy recently. Apparently, I'm not the only one!
The last couple nights, we've been getting more than a dozen cucumbers, 3-4 zucchini and several squash daily. It's a lot of veggie produce. Not only is the garden growing outside the garden box, it's produce is going to overtake our refrigerator.  It's crazy. 

My brothers and dad immediately requested zucchini bars and I, in an act of charity and selflessness (ha!) offered to  make them.

{These are insanely moist, sweet, and addicting.  No lie.}

The shredded zucchini gives two things to these bars. First, moisture.  The cake is supremely tender and moist. Second, texture!  The shredded zucchini isn't mushy or crunchy.  I can't quite describe it, but it is good. Trust me, it doesn't taste like zucchini. There is too much sugar for that to be a problem. This is a dessert!  I mean, it is covered in frosting.  Really good frosting I might add. Still skeptical?

{Everyone in my family loves these.}

Do you know how many desserts every single family member likes?  I can think of three or four, five tops.  This is one of them. It's from my mom's mom and there is a reason it's stuck around.  

One of my favorite things about these bars is how thick they. Some recipes have 24 servings, but one serving is just a bite or two. Not here!  These are incredibly thick, just the way I like it. 

Frosted Zucchini Bars
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life
Yield: 24 servings

4 eggs
2 cups sugar 
1 cup canola oil
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2-3 raw medium zucchini, shredded (4 cups)

Lightly grease 9x13 pan. Preheat oven to 350. 

For bars:  Beat eggs and sugar for one minute.  Add vegetable oil and vanilla. Stir together flour, soda, powder, cinnamon, and salt and add to egg mixture. Finally, stir in the shredded zucchini. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or toothpick inserted comes out clean (a few crumbs is fine.)  Cool completely before frosting. 

Frosting: 
3 oz. low fat cream cheese, softened 
8 tablespoons butter, softened 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
2 cups powdered sugar

For frosting:  Beat cream cheese, butter, milk, and vanilla together until combined. Add powdered sugar gradually, beating until smooth.  

Store leftovers in airtight container. Refrigerate if desired, but it isn't necessary. 

I also made brownies this week!  These are also super thick bars full of chocolate and peanut butter!This is a recipe I made up that I've used again and again. It's a winner!





9 comments:

  1. Zucchini in a dessert? I'm intrigued. They look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sneaky way to get veggies in! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I just made these, and they are delicious! Despite Blaize complaining about putting "zucchini in a perfectly good desert" he loved them, as did the rest of my family. Natalie said the frosting "melts in your mouth" and Mom said "Wowsa." (which I haven't heard for a while in regards to my baking, especially since my cake "craze".) :) Thumbs up! Oh, and I got a good laugh out of the part of the recipe that says, "Add powdered sugar gradually, beady king until smooth." :0 Thanks for a smile and a delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! "Beady king" cracked me up, too. Thank you for reporting all your family's reactions; it made my day!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for following and taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. Checking yours out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you get veggies in your dessert. These look amaaazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite being able to tell there is zucchini (there IS green:) it is a favorite!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection