June 20, 2013

Caramel Toffee Pecan Ice Cream Cake

Pin It!
My family is kind of odd. My dad doesn't like chocolate, but I've gotten used to that. But recently I learned something that stopped me dead in my tracks. My grandma doesn't like ice cream. 

Please explain to me how that is possible?!  

How could anyone not like ice cream?!


Summer is my excuse to eat ice cream at least twice a day. That cold and creamy and sweet ice cream is just so good. For Father's Day, I updated ice cream and layered it in a freezer pleaser cake. It was a wonderful way to end a Father's Day filled with outdoor stuff.  For Grandmothers Day? ... Umm, carrots?  (Kidding, really.  I would never give my grandma carrots. Maybe Pumpkin Carrot Cake though ...)

This cake has three layers: cookie crumbs, ice cream, toffee pieces, and cool whip. The beauty of this recipe is that it uses store bought ingredients. Less work, less time, but still a stunning dessert. You could make the cookies and ice cream from scratch ... but really, get a life!  One that involves eating this!


 
 
Say hello to Caramel Toffee Pecan Ice Cream Cake. 
 
You people are a lot more polite than I!  I just ignored formalities and ate my slice like pizza in 2 bites. And then I ate the rest if my sisters slice and then my brothers pecans. Hello probably would've been a nice thing to say. But this is obviously optional. 

Toffee is incredible stuff. It makes this cake pie ice cream (what do I call this?) so good. It is crunchy and sweet and pairs perfectly with the buttery shortbread and creamy ice cream. 


Now, there is a little warning that goes along with ice cream cakes. I have read so many blog posts about what a pain ice cream is to spread. Having made this twice, I can attest to that!  Because you let the layers freeze in between spreading, the second layer of ice cream will be easy since it will have had been since it had been sitting our for a while. 

To avoid having the outside of the ice cream box soaked with liquid ice cream and the inside frozen solid, I would recommend dividing your ice cream between two bowls and letting it sit for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  This will guarantee the ice cream will soften evenly. Your goal would be soft serve consistency, but don't worry if it doesn't work completely.

Mines didn't because I'm not an incredibly patient person AND my dad was almost home while I was making it as a surprise. It doesn't have to be perfect.  I mean, this is ice cream! Who doesn't like ice cream?!

Just pretend I never told your about my grandma.


Caramel Toffee Pecan Ice Cream Cake 
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life.  Adapted from Taste of Home.
Yield: 12-16 servings

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup Heath toffee bits
6 cups (12 oz.) butter pecan ice cream
8 oz. Cool Whip (regular or lite)

Crush cookies into crumbs, either by hand or using a food processor.  If using a food processor, add butter to crumbs and process until combined.  If using hands, place crumbs in a large bowl and stir in melted butter.  You will have 2-/12 cup crumbs.  Press 1-1/4 cup crumbs onto bottom of greased 9 inch springform pan.  Sprinkle 1/3 cup toffee bits over crust.  Spread 3 cups softened butter pecan ice cream over crust.  Freeze for 10-15 minutes.

Remove cake from freezer and press remaining crumbs on top of ice cream layer.  Sprinkle another 1/3 cup toffee bits on top of crumbs.  Spread remaining 3 cups of softened ice cream on top.  Let freeze for 10-15 more minutes.

Remove from freezer and spread softened cool whip over ice cream layer.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup toffee bits and cover.  Freeze for at least 15 more minutes or until ready to serve.

To serve, remove from freezer 5 minutes before to let soften.  Drizzle with caramel sauce if desired and serve.

Notes:   To avoid having the outside of the ice cream box soaked with liquid ice cream and the inside frozen solid, I would recommend dividing your ice cream between two bowls and letting it sit for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  This will guarantee the ice cream will soften evenly. Your goal would be soft serve consistency, but don't worry if it doesn't work completely. 

Another stunning springform pan dessert?  Peanut Butter Oreo Mousse Torte!


Need more toffee?  This Toffee Crunch Pound Cake will definitely be enough!


My Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Cookie Cups are super soft cookies stuffed with chocolate chips, pretzels, and (you guessed it) toffee!  Baked in a cupcake pan to ensure ultimate softness.

18 comments:

  1. my grandmother didn't like chocolate in her icecream. Perhaps your grandmother has teeth that are very sensitive to cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, you could be right! I never thought of that. She also can't smell, but I don't know if that would affect her ability to like ice cream or not:)

      Delete
  2. Hey, looks like you figured out how to make working with ice cream less of a pain! The pictures look delicious! :) Never has my computer screen looked more appetizing. And who needs manners when there's ice cream around? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully "pain" has never stopped me from enjoying ice cream cakes, but hopefully I'll be more motivated to make them now! I should've guessed you, my ice cream friend, would like this:)

      Delete
  3. I love ice cream! This sounds wonderful. Thanks for the great tips, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! It is so good. You are welcome, hopefully it will make ice cream cakes easier!

      Delete
  4. If I didn't like ice cream or chocolate...I'd never have to diet. Lol. This ice cream cake looks so so good and perfectly refreshing this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't decide if I should feel terrible that she doesn't like chocolate or ice cream (think of all she is missing out on!) or if I shoud be incredibly jealous!! :)

      Delete
  5. I may have just drooled on the keyboard :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't think it was possible for people to dislike chocolate or ice cream :(
    Your pictures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't know how I am related to her. Can't imagine a life without chocolate or ice cream! And thank you for the photo compliment - I didn't have the nice camera, only my little old one, so the quality isn't great, but I so appreciate your sweet words!

      Delete
  7. Ummm YUM!!!! Found you on Peek into my Paradise :)

    Stop on by and link this up at our SUPER SUNDAY Link Party:
    http://whoneedsacape.com/2013/06/super-sunday-party-3/

    Lori
    Whoneedsacape.com
    Not Your Average Super Moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Sorry I missed the party. Thank you for the invite (going to check it out right now!) and for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I about did . . . I now know why God blessed me with so many siblings! Something about ice cream and cookies and toffee!

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love everything toffee so I came across your blog with all these great recipes and now I'm so excited to try them all! I think I'll have to start with the ice cream cake first though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, and welcome! Glad you are here! I completely agree about toffee and really, can you ever go wrong with ice cream?!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection